Saturday, April 21, 2012

Getting Serious

This week has definitely had it's fun moments, but we are for sure getting down and dirty now, as things are needing to get done asap! There are twelve of us as of this week, including a girl who is participating in the program World Wide Opportunities for Organic Farming(WWOOFing)and is volunteering with us though May. We are all feeling pretty good for the most part I think, though more than a few of us have had to add some extra stretching for aching backs, butts, and whatever else you can think of! Someone said to one of us, 'whatever your weakest muscle is, you'll be sure to feel it first!' and I think that is definitely the truth for me, as my forearms and hands have been incredibly sore! As promised, here are the photos of the week, documenting some of our pain, suffering, and a few moments of brilliance!


Apr 16

Sweet Success!! Tanea and I finish forking over the Demonstration Garden! We finished
Monday with the help of Lydia, our WOOFer from Switzerland who was amazing
enough to snap this shot right before I fell off my garden fork!
(Note the bomb teepee in the background. We told our boss,
Isaac, we'd be spending the rest of the day in there)



Apr 17

Such a great day! Here Chris, Jacob and Ian are transplanting heirloom tomatoes
from tiny one inch sprout trays to three inch pots.  Lydia and Megan  are in the
background. We put these tomatoes as well as some peppers back into the
greenhouse to grow to size to plant in the Demo Garden!

Apr 18

Wednesday we spend the afternoon repacking organic spinach for shipment to Texas
and New Mexico grocery stores. Here's my buddy Megan kicking butt transferring
plants from red box to black. This pic is blurry 'cuz  she's moving so fast!
Lucia and Tanea are in the background!

Apr 19

Okay, this is not a bad scene out of West Side Story. It's just a fake knife fight
between Justin and Ian before we spent our day preparing seed potatoes.
 This day was hard and cold in the warehouse; they had the right to fake fight.

Apr 20

 I have a really good, sympathy inducing photo of all of us slaving away on these seed
 potatoes for Friday. But I thought this image of me, courtesy of Elena (probably
 totally against the rules, don't tell Isaac!) would speak for itself.
Lydia and Megan in the background. Exhausting!!

Bonus Foto(s) of the Week


I think sometimes, and probably more often than not, there is going to be that extra gorgeous photo that I just can't leave out of the week's events. This Friday, our fabulous neighbor who normally shies from the spotlight allowed me a ten minute photo shoot during lunch. Here is my favorite shot; our peacock strutting in the tree next to the intern house.

The Intern House Mascot

Here's to next week's promise of warmer weather, less potato chopping, more planting, less hand hurting, and more blog reading!!! Thanks for reading my blog to my family and friends, as well as our whole extended intern/farm family!

XO,
Val







2 comments:

  1. Two weeks can feel like two months when you're working from dusk 'til dawn. Great job! I think you're moving into becoming a cautionary-tale about interning in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like there are lots of varity in the work...

    ReplyDelete